WEA Trust Short-Term Disability
You may need it if you go several weeks or months without a paycheck.
Let's say you were in a car accident and broke your leg. Your doctor says you need surgery and can't work for at least two to three months. Would you have enough savings to live on? Could you comfortably pay the rent or mortgage and keep on top of all the other bills coming in?
Your short-term disability insurance, which covers a portion of your lost income until you are able to get back to work, could make a major difference. Short-term disability can carry you through the many unexpected events in life—pregnancy, surgery, accidents, or illnesses such as cancer, heart attacks or diabetes.
Am I eligible for short-term disability benefits?
You are if you meet these requirements:
- You are unable to adequately perform the duties of your occupation due to a physical or mental impairment, which is supported by medical evidence.
- You have satisfied a waiting period known as the elimination period (if applicable).
- You have met all policy requirements.
If we find you to be disabled and your disability is caused by an illness, benefits are typically paid after a three-day elimination period. If your disability is caused by an injury, benefits are paid as of the date of your disability if:
- You are treated by a physician on the day you are injured; or
- Your injury occurs on a contracted workday, and you are typically treated by a physician within three days of the injury.
How are benefits paid?
Benefits are paid for disability resulting from a medically documented injury or illness. We consider pregnancy and post-partum recovery to be an illness. You can expect to receive benefits…
- In addition to sick leave, worker's compensation, or other paid leave.
- Throughout any one continuous period of disability, up to the maximum of the plan, if all policy provisions are satisfied.
- At the appropriate weekly benefit level, or 66-2/3% of your salary, whichever is less.
Protect your income during a short-term illness or injury.
Call us today to find out more!