Worker's Compensation Information for Employers

Worker's Compensation

Policies Information That Affects You

Although Trust plans do not provide worker’s compensation benefits, there are several provisions in our policies that affect you. If you have questions about filing a worker’s compensation claim, you should contact your worker’s compensation insurer for assistance.


Our health policies say that you must notify us immediately whenever a covered employee suffers a work-related illness or injury or files a claim for worker’s compensation benefits. (See employer’s Duty to Furnish Information in Section 1 of the policy.)

When you complete the Employer’s First Report of Injury or Disease form, please make a copy and mail it to:

Worker’s Compensation Recovery Unit WEA Insurance Corporation
P.O. Box 21538
Eagan, MN 55121-5038

Or fax it to the attention of: Worker’s Compensation Recovery Unit WEA Insurance Corporation (608) 661-6794

If you prefer, you can give us the information by phone. Just ask for one of our worker’s compensation specialists when you call.

The information you provide is important because none of our health plans cover services that are eligible for worker’s compensation benefits. (See General Exclusions in Section 5 of the policy.) When you notify us of the work injury or illness, we can take steps to ensure that your group health plan does not pay for expenses that are the responsibility of your worker’s compensation insurer.

Customer Service


Call us Monday through Friday - 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST

Email Us Today

For WEA Member Benefits (auto and home insurance & retirement services), call 800-279-4010

Customer Service